Mission | Vision | Values
The Plainfield Park District seeks to enhance lives through quality recreation opportunities.
We aspire to be innovative in administration, recreation and preservation.
Our Values center on:
o A commitment to working together in partnerships for betterment of the community
o Development of an understanding of the recreational needs of the community
o Effective communication across useful avenues to reach the community
• Fiscal Responsibility
o Wise spending practices
o Strategic budgeting process
o An understanding of local economy
• Stewardship of Natural Resources
o The preservation of open space
o The development of parks in a respectful manner
o A commitment to green and sustainable approaches
• Health & Wellness
o Promotion of a lifestyle of fitness for different segments of the community
o Provide programs that fulfill the needs and desires of a healthy community
o Ensure recreational opportunities for healthy living with wellness partnerships
The Plainfield Park District...
- ...is a separate and distinct public agency with the primary purpose of providing park sites and facilities, as well as recreation programs and services, to meet the needs of all residents of the district.
- ...is empowered by State statute to levy taxes, issue bonds, accept gifts and donations, and collect fees to provide park and recreation facilities and programs.
- ...encompasses all of Plainfield Township and portions of Wheatland Township in Will County and Na-Au-Say Township in Kendall County, including areas of Bolingbrook, Crest Hill, Joliet, Plainfield and Romeoville, as well as some unincorporated areas.
- ...covers more than 40 square miles and serves a population of more than 100,000 people.
- ...is the 9th largest park district in the state of Illinois based on population served.
- ...maintains more than 80 parks comprised of more than 1,500 acres.
- ...maintains seven building sites including the Recreation / Administration Center, Normantown Equestrian Center, Ottawa Street Pool, Heritage Professional Center and Streams Recreation Center.
- ...employs more than 40 full-time staff, 80 part-time staff, and approximately 150 seasonal employees.
- ...strives to provide as many recreational opportunities to its constituency as possible, encompassing all ages, interests, and abilities. Classes and events are continuously being added and expanded to meet the growing needs of the community.